Monday, November 1, 2010

THE WEST'S SECRET POWER GROUP, PART III








This is one of the earliest articles published on the Bilderberg Group. It was published in the November 1976 edition of Verdict, a UK magazine.


In these pages, VERDICT tells the story of the Bilderberg Group, a story that will astonish all the freedom-loving citizens of the Western world that prides itself on democracy.

Bilderberg is a gathering of the most powerful, most political influential and most wealthy men in the West.

Every year for the last 24 years they have met in heavily-guarded secrecy, covertly influencing the economies and politics of independent nations.

All attempts to uncover the workings of Bilderberg have been systematically suppressed from the highest level.

In this world exclusive (by Robert Eringer), VERDICT reveals for the first time the activities of this secret group and the names of the powerful men behind it.


PART III

In Washington in September, 1975, I began my inquries by writing to the embassies of each one of the countries whose citizens were involved in the Bilderberg Group.

I received only three replies. The Royal Swedish Embassy said that it was aware that prominent Swedes had attended the Group in their private capacities. It said there was no official Swedish view on the Group.

I decided to telephone all the embassies I had written to.

The Dutch embassy was the only one that had any information about the Group. They knew very little about it but supposed their purpose was to make "a more livable world."

No other embassy had heard of the Group.

A high-placed official at the West German embassy exclaimed: "Bilder... what?" and refused to believe that the Group existed.
Perhaps he should have referred to his own Chancellor, Mr. Schmidt.

I wrote to the White House. Their reply stated: "The conference does not intend that its programme be secret, although in the interests of free and open discussion, no reports are kept of the meetings."

A letter to the State Department brought the answer: "Discussions are off the record to enable the participants to engage in a frank exchange of views on problems facing the Atlantic Community. For this reason, transcripts or records of the meetings are not kept."

Further inquiries showed that David Rockefeller and most other members of Bilderberg's steering committee were members of the Coucil on Foreign Relations, America's most influential private organisation on foreign affairs.

So I wrote to the Council.

I was referred to Charles Muller, a vice president at Murden & Co., on a third floor at 39 East 51st Street, New York.

Mr. Muller sent me a press release which gave no insight into the Group.

I later called at the address, but Mr. Muller knew nothing about the Group itself, and it would seem to be nothing more than a postal address.

I tried from there to interview two State Department officials who had attended the Megeve Conference in 1974.

Secretaries channeled me to several different departments, before I was finally put on to Francis Seidner, a Public Affairs Advisor.. His advice to me was to mind my own business, adding that it was "obviously a private affair."

In London I spoke with a participant from the Megeve Conference. Through him I received a printed record of the Megeve meeting--which the U.S. State Department had denied existed.

The participant suggested that I should write to Ernst van der Beugel, a professor at the University of Leiden in Holland, and who is honorary secretary in Europe to the Bilderberg Group.

I wrote. I received, three weelks later, a reply from Mr. Muller at the Murden Company, which said, "I have your letter to Dr. van der Beugel... reports are not available for general distribution."

The next man I communicated with was Sir Paul Chambers, former chairman of Britain's biggest comoany, ICI, and a regular Bilderberg attender. Sir Paul said: "I am under obligation not to disclose anything about the Bilderberg Group. I am sorry I cannot help, but I am clearly powerless to do so." He referred me to Smidwater 1, The Hague, Holland.

There, I found the Bilderberg headquarters, which consist of a two-room office; one for Dr. van der Beugel, one for two secretaries.

I was given the same handout I received from Mr. Muller in New York, and was told that Dr. van der Beugel was out. But I did learn the venue of the next meeting... Torquay, Devon, in April, 1977.

So I tried to talk to Sir Frederic Bennett, Bilderberger and Tory MP for Torquay. Sir Frederic requested that the interview would be objective in nature, and I agreed that it would. He suggested that I should phone his secretary that afternoon to fix an appointment. When I rang back, I was told that Sir Frederic had changed his mind.